Saturday, June 15, 2013

Oh My God….It’s Raining..!!


It was almost 4’ o clock in the evening when I woke up after a pretty long journey through my dreams. When I reached out for my cellphone, I could see 2 new messages both of which read, “Football at 4.30”. I washed my face and put on my sportswear to play football with my friends. Like any other day, I was expecting an exciting game of football and started walking towards the college.

A lonely walk to the college was interrupted by few drops from the skies. Much before i could take a look at the clouds it started pouring heavily. I ran hard seeking a shelter to protect myself from rains and safely landed inside the bus stop in front of my college. Later few of my friends joined me as well. Almost everyone was wet. We had pani-puri and were all standing in front of a bakery (Vaibhavi) sipping hot coffee. Mesmerizing rains, wetness, dark lights, deserted roads, fresh air, and the whole surrounding made it a perfect evening. Sorry, I forgot to add the major ingredient- the memories. Here is my share of memories with rains.

My heart leaps up when it rains. Rain is ‘a thing of beauty’ which is joy forever. I get carried away with the water drops falling from the sky.Though I cannot recollect my first encounter with rains, I still remember the days when I made paper boats for my sister to float them in rain water flowing. Carrying an umbrella made me feel so happy during those days.  I had a notion that few people threw water from sky and that resulted in rains. I guess, most of us had the same thought when we were young.  First rains of the season and the smell that follows is the one of the best feeling in this world. It reminds me of the snacks which my mom made on a rainy day. Being fully covered by sweater and a blanket, watching TV inside my cozy home was way-too-awesome to relish the food.For the first time when I saw a rainbow, I was awestruck. I am a huge admirer of rainbows. After that, I used to search for the rainbow every time it rained until I got to know the science involved in it (Total Internal Reflection!! 9th Grade Physics)



I am from Kadur, which is a kind of dry zone in our district. Rainfalls are seldom experienced, but when it pours it’s violent. When I was in 6th Grade, I shifted to a residential school which is located in a mini cherrapunji. It used to rain more than 4 months in a year. The skies were all filled with dense thick black clouds during the rainy season and the rains were almost non-stop 24*7. For the first few days, it was dismal. But i got accustomed with the weather over there. Being away from my family, rain became a dear friend of mine. I can still recollect those heavy rains with lightning and loud thunder which scared the shit out of me. But it’s a great joy in playing football in heavy rains. Standing in front of the clinic to get medicines for not-instantly-curable cold and cough, getting a break from morning jogging (*jogging was compulsory in our residential school) are all part of these rainy days. For me the chilly breeze, soothing sounds and pleasant weather created by rains is the perfect thing for a long heavenly sleep. It is this place which thought me everything about umbrella: How to hold an umbrella? How 4 people can share a single umbrella and most importantly, how-not-to-get-wet without an umbrella?

Rains, a mug of hot coffee, tasty and crispy chats, friends and few good songs can create heaven. To go on a long drive, train journey, roaming the streets, watching a romantic movie can be few other options. Rain can make any place romantic. That's the reason why many books,movies and songs have rains in them. When I finished my education in my residential school and joined Hassan for my degree, I considered eating food in street side chat stalls was unhygienic and not-so-awesome. Big thanks to R C Road street-side chat stalls and sudden rains for the breakthrough and making me realize how false that notion was. May be it’s true that food is not-so-clean but, trust me, it’s damn tasty. It was Sahana chats,  Kachauri stall near Sahyadri Theatre, Arun Chats and stalls in front of my college which made rainy days much more romantic and enjoyable. Travelling on a rainy day is delightful though showers remind me of the patch roads which created havoc when I was travelling. But travelling in a train and that too getting a view sitting next to a window when it's raining is a visual treat. As soon as I plug my earphones and the songs started playing it was a paradise-Unreal, ecstatic and what not. Nature gets refreshed by rains and gets a brand new make-up. It looks young, fresh and beautiful as never before.

Its monsoon and rain gods are giving visits once-in-a-while. Let us ignore traffic jams(if you are staying in big cities), water logging, electricity problems etc. and enjoy the rains. Let the timely and adequate rains benefit our farmers. Let it bring happiness and goodness.

PS1: It’s time to listen to some melodies with a mug of coffee and hot chats.

PS2: Enjoy the rains, feel the goodness and don’t just get wet.

To get the update of my posts and to follow me Click Here

And don't forget to comment (Anything)...


4 comments:

  1. Refreshing :) Nice one Harish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome as always...
    i remember playing football with whole class and Kurugund sir making us to practice kho-kho even on those slippery ground in 6th...
    nice work dude..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Manoj. Playing football and Kho-kho in rain was great fun. Those were the best times dude..

      Delete